Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Love -> Actions or Actions -> Love?

I've been working my way slowly through "The Love Dare" book, and remember in the introduction that it said something to the effect that our hearts (even if redeemed by Christ) tend to default in the wrong direction. We need to lead our hearts aright. Part of the way we lead it is by doing things. In the case of a loving marriage relationship, that involves acting in love; learning to love; and experiencing the joy of loving and serving your spouse. That has been an encouragement to me several times.

Yes, love reveals itself in thoughts, words, and actions. But at the same time, loving thoughts, words, and actions increase love in our hearts. And if you are not feeling the love, but ask God for help and try to orient yourself towards love by actions, you will find that your love grows and these things become more natural and overflowing. That's the premise, and I believe it is true, from my (limited) experience.

Today, Cherie came across an interesting blog (linked to by The Romantic Vineyard) and read the whole thing -- all 170-something posts. Yup, it was that good. It chronicles a husband's attempts to do an act of love every day for a year to express and increase his love for his wife. I have not read it yet myself (I hope to in my free time!), but Cherie has really enjoyed and benefited from it. So many attitudes and thought patterns and feelings get worked out in real life as he pours out his hear to his wife (who does not have a clue that he is doing this blog!). It is strikingly real, and this guy has a real heart for Christ and for his wife and family. Oh, I suppose you want to find this site, right? Well, here it is: 365 Acts of Love Enjoy!

We are both thankful for this example of true-life practical everyday (pun intened) example of loving one another. We can use that right now! :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks again for the exposure! And I appreciate the kind words