Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Encouraging Words

As I continue to "reap what I have sown" and fight to overcome the sin and corruption that once enslaved me, I find helpful reminders and encouragement from God's Word. In talking with a friend last week, we were looking at 2 Corinthians 10:4-5 and the weapons we have that are "mighty in God" and remembered the "whole armor of God" in Ephesians 6:10-20, and especially the offensive weapon of "the sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God." It reminded me of how important it is to cling to God's commands and promises as recorded in the Word. And so I am going to just share a few that have been meaningful as I have been looking for things to take to heart from what God has said.

Twice we read in Isaiah about God making the crooked places straight, like this from 42:10:
I will bring the blind by a way they did not know;
I will lead them in paths they have not known.
I will make darkness light before them,
And crooked places straight.
These things I will do for them,
And not forsake them.
My heart and mind are those crooked places, malformed by sin, taken into dark places and spiritual blindness.

Oh God, straighten me out, lead me to the light, make my path plain, do these things in me and for me, and do not forsake me! It is You alone to whom I can cling, knowing that your faithfulness is great, and your compassions are new every morning.

Psalm 147:3 is also an encouragement to me: "He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds." My heart is "broken," although I don't mean that in the same way as the common expression -- but more like my heart is not working right, it is out of tune, it has been compromised. God heals broken hearts - Hallelujah! And He can heal Cherie's broken heart and lovingly bind up her wounds too, that I have inflicted.

I Corinthians 6:9-10 talks about those who will not inherit the kingdom of God, including adulterers, idolaters, and the covetous, which I can relate to in varying degrees. But then verse 11 says, "And such were some of you. But you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus and by the Spirit of our God." No, I am not alone in having been in that dreadful list of sinners. And I am not alone in having been washed, sanctified (set apart), and justified by God! Wow, I need to be reminded of that. It speaks of it in the past tense, it is true, but I know that the sanctification is ongoing and requires my involvement, but of course that requires the work of the Spirit in me too.

Later in the same chapter, in verses 13 and 14, God says, "Now the body is not for sexual immorality but for the Lord, and the Lord for the body. And God both raised up the Lord and will also raise us up by His power." My body, soul, and spirit were not intended to pursue sexuality in a wrong way, but were designed for the purpose of glorifying the Lord. And with thoughts of the resurrection fresh in my mind, it is encouraging to be reminded that I will be raised up by that same power of His. It may speak of my body being raised up on resurrection day, but I know too that it is by Christ's resurrection power that I am able to overcome sin in my life now. Praise His name!

Finally, at the end of that chapter, I am told to "flee sexual immorality", and challenged in verses 19-20, "Do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own? For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God’s." Yes, I not only can flee sexual immorality with God's resurrection power, but I am expected to! I have been bought at a great price, and the reason I was purchased as to abound to God's glory, and that includes my sexuality for sure!

This also ties in with that book I've been listening to, "Every Man's Battle", and specifically the section on defending our minds. One key concept that I picked up on was that I am not my own; my mind is not free in Christ to think whatever I want; but I am accountable to God for all of my thoughts; and that it is contrary to His purpose for me to think of any woman other than Cherie in a wrong way. I do not have a "right" to be thinking of this other woman. So I must guard my mind and send those thoughts away as soon as they come near.

Dear God, be my "Comrade" in the battle against these thoughts that would destroy me and my marriage from within my head. Remind me that I am yours by right, for you have not only created me, but redeemed me at a great price. Set me apart for You, and set Cherie apart in my heart and mind as the apple of my eye that you have graciously given to me. For you have given her to me not just to bless me, but for me to cherish and protect; to guide and provide for; to nourish and cause to flourish. May our lives and our marriage abound to your glory!

How good it is to have God's Word!

No comments: